The annual themed competition will be held on August 25 at Queen’s Surf Beach
Honolulu, HI (July 24, 2019) – Red Bull Party Wave, the competition that challenges teams to build their own surf vessels and ride the best wave as a group, will return to the famed shores of Waikiki on Sunday, August 25. After last year’s cancellation due to conditions surrounding Hurricane Lane, Red Bull is gearing up for this year’s event participation and entries to be bigger and better than ever before. Along with their unique crafts, participating teams will come prepared with themed costumes and unique skits in hopes to win over the judges and crowd, before they paddle out together to catch some waves. Up to 20 teams will be selected to compete.
The 6th annual Red Bull Party Wave will be the final event of Duke’s OceanFest, Hawaii’s premier ocean sports festival. Duke’s OceanFest is held in Waikiki at Kuhio Beach and celebrates Duke Kahanamoku’s life, his athletic contributions as an iconic waterman, and his spirit of Aloha that is still so prevalent today.
With creativity and resourcefulness as its vision and having fun at its core, Red Bull Party Wave requires teams to design, build and collectively ride a wave on their man-made vessel. Adding to the challenge, teams will be judged on craft creativity and showmanship, encouraging teams to choreograph and perform entertaining skits as they head out into the water with their crafts. A special Duke’s Aloha Award, presented by the Native Hawaiian Hospitality Association, will be rewarded to the team that best exemplifies Duke Kahanamoku’s spirit of Aloha.
Red Bull Party Wave application and competition guidelines:
● Craft must have a creative theme and be man-made within the building period.
● Craft must be propelled by 100% manpower. Paddles are allowed, but no motorized or sailing elements will be permitted.
● All members of the team (min. 3 people, max. 6) must be over the age of 18 and be able to paddle out and surf on the craft.
● Teams will be judged based on craft creativity, team showmanship/costumes, and performance on wave(s).
● All surf craft materials used must float and must be environmentally friendly (won’t harm the environment when wet/can be removed from the ocean).
For more information on the 6th annual Red Bull Party Wave or to apply to compete, visit: redbull.com/partywave.
HERE is a link to select photos and you can download sizzle reel HERE